The results of our 12th QCA/BDO Small and Mid-Cap Sentiment Index have been published. While we continue to track key components of business sentiment this quarter, we also asked for views on the interest rates and corporate reputation. Some highlights from the results include:
- 84% of small and mid-cap quoted companies are optimistic about prospects for the UK economy over the next 12 months – up by 2% from April 2014.
- 85% of small and mid-cap quoted companies are optimistic about their own business prospects over the next 12 months – down 3% on April 2014.
- 76% of small and mid-cap quoted companies are expecting to increase employee headcount over the 12 months and the mean expected employment change (+7.1%) has risen to the highest level since the survey began.
- 46% of small and mid-cap quoted companies believe interest rates will rise before the end of 2014, with a further 51% anticipating a rise in 2015.
- 48% of small and mid-cap quoted companies believe there will be no impact on their business if interest rates rise.
- 44% of small and mid-cap quoted companies have experienced allegations or rumours being made on the internet, with nearly three quarters (71%) of those companies reporting that these comments have originated from online discussion forums.
Thank you to those that participated.We welcome your feedback on any aspects of the survey, the report, or relevant issues affecting the sector – please email us.