The QCA has conducted a survey of over 500 UK retail investors for their views on small and mid-sized quoted companies.
See the results here: QCA Retail Investment in Small and Mid-Sized Companies Research Report 2020
The report examines how retail investors:
- View the markets in the COVID-19 era
- Conduct research into companies
- Make investment decisions
- Use tax incentives
- Perceive the collapse of the Woodford funds
- Regard AGMs
Key findings include:
- UK retail investors are typically resilient and in it for the long-term, taking a measured approach.
- Two-thirds of retail investors have changed their investment strategies as a result of the impact of the COVID crisis on the economy.
- Only 5% of retail investors think corporate governance has no impact on share price. It is viewed as having a positive influence on company management and resulting performance.
For companies, there are a number of practical points that they can take away to form part of a strategy to increase retail investor engagement. This includes:
- Increasing the company profile to retail investors
- Ensuring governance is clearly and transparently communicated
- Involving retail investors in IPOs and placings
See the report for more detail on these: QCA Retail Investment in Small and Mid-Sized Companies Research Report 2020
This survey was conducted by YouGov and sponsored by Investor Meet Company.