Our report – PULSE – of our triannual QCA/BDO Small and Mid-Cap Sentiment survey is now out. While we continue to track key components of business sentiment this issue, we also asked for your views on the EU Referendum and what impact this would have on small and mid-cap quoted companies. Highlights from the results include:
- Since the last survey was conducted in September 2015, net optimism has increased from +19% to +28%.
- Staff hiring intentions remain high with 66% of small and mid-cap quoted companies intending to recruit staff over the next 12 months.
- Sales forecasts by small and mid-cap quoted companies for the next 12 months are at a near record level, with expected turnover set to grow 15.7%.
- However, the EU Referendum is now the greatest potential risk to small and mid-cap quoted companies’ businesses.
- This has led to the confidence of both companies (61.8% to 54.4%) and advisers (63.1% to 54.2%) in the UK economy falling sharply, and is likely to continue until a clear result is forthcoming.
- Net optimism about the UK economy has plummeted from -18% to -55% among companies.
Thank you to those that participated in the survey. We welcome your feedback on any aspects of the survey, the report, or relevant issues affecting the sector – please email us.