The Quoted Companies Alliance hosted an exclusive briefing on 28 March 2011 for Maria Velentza, Head of Unit G3 – Securities Markets, European Commission – DG Internal Market, to discuss issues small and mid-cap quoted companies are facing with directors from small and mid-cap quoted companies, a market maker, a NOMAD and an institutional investor.
The main aim of this meeting was to put European officials in direct contact with those actively involved in UK markets to discuss their experiences in relation to the Commission's on-going reviews of its financial services directives. Topics discussed included:
- why companies choose to list on exchange regulated markets
- investment and liquidity in small and mid-cap companies
- the importance of execution-only services to smaller companies
- the classification of business angels under MiFID
- the lack of availability of independent research on companies
- the Prospectus Directive's and MiFID's effect on companies raising equity
We are also keen to hear from our corporate members on any issues you have with raising equity or on-going requirements and actively put these forward to Government and Brussels. Please let us know by emailing Maria Gomes, our Head of Policy.